Cruise with friends and experience true offshore sailing to the Bahamas. The ARC Bahamas fleet sails from Portsmouth, VA at the mouth the Chesapeake Bay to Harborview Marina, in Marsh Harbor in the Abacos. The start port and dates make the most of the available weather to maximize your Bahamian cruising, and our week-long pre-departure program will get you relaxed and ready for cruising.
The low-lying and reef strewn Bahama Islands offer a remarkably beautiful cruising ground, but the islands also offer arguably more challenging sailing than the high and steep Eastern Caribbean. By joining ARC Bahamas, you’ll get expert advice on making landfall in the Abacos from professional sailors who’ve been in and out of the reef breaks on many occasions and in all kinds of weather.
Note that the best of the Abacos – and the rest of the Bahamas – are best experienced in a shallow-draft boat (5’ ideally). While yachts with six-feet of draft can enter Marshharbor and Harborview Marina, those with greater than six-feet of draft should consider ARC Caribbean 1500 and the deeper waters of the BVI.
Before you even get to the start, we help with your preparations by providing a comprehensive Rally Handbook and regular newsletters, and we’re here to help you find crew and answer your questions by phone or email.
From Time of Registration:
● Discount at Fawcett Boat Supply in Annapolis, from the day you register until the start of the rally
● Bound Rally Handbook
● Access to World Cruising Club’s extensive online resources for offshore sailing
● Discounted chart and pilot book ordering
In Portsmouth VA:
● 2 free nights dockage at Ocean Marine Yacht Center
● Welcome Pack
● ARC Bahamas 1500 boat flag
● One issue of SAIL Magazine and an annual subscription for each skipper and crew member
● Safety equipment inspection
● Lecture program (Gulf Stream crossing, rigging, weather, first aid)
● Rig inspections by Southbound Yacht Rigging
● Discounted fuel polishing at Ocean Marine Yacht Center
● Safety demonstration (live flare and liferaft demonstration)
● Comprehensive social program nightly
● Skippers’ Briefing
● Welcome Party
● Farewell Party
On passage at sea:
● Float plan filed with USCG and Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association (BASRA)
● Position reporting Radio net
● Daily weather forecast sent by email
● Tracking of yachts, including loan of a satellite tracker
● Display of positions on rally website
In Marsh Harbor
● 2 days free docking at Harbor View Marina on arrival
● Customs and Immigration fees ($300 per yacht over 30ft and up to three crew).
● Welcome on arrival
● Local tourist information
● Full social program nightly
● ARC Bahamas awards ceremony
● Lectures on topics relating to cruising the Bahamas
Search Boat Logs..
Enjoy - Engine problems still not resolved
Good thing we have two engines.With no wind, we've been motoring for days.Two days ago, the port engine just died on us.Don and Ken have been collaborating non stop to troubleshoot the issue(s).The theory is there could be both electrical and fuel read more...
Enjoy - We're off to the Bahamas finally!
We've crossed the ARC starting line and are off to the Bahamas. To track s/v enjoy specifically load the ybtracker app. If you use the ybtracker app, you'll want to go to the fleet tracker and select a Rally or Race. Choose ARC Bahamas. That read more...
Breeze On - We are getting there
We are 143 miles from the Bahamas. It is a beautiful, warm day with a clear sky. The water around us is that gorgeous shade of deep blue. During my evening watch the wind dropped and the sails flogged. We decided to motor sail as long as the winds read more...