Lexington - Captain Bob: onward and westward
We pulled out of San Cristobal tonight at about 4:15 pm. We are hoping to travel thru the nightand arrive at first light. That way we have the daytime to get oriented and decide what needs to be seen the most. We are motor sailing to make the right speed. It is about 90 miles. We are going to Isabella. A good percentage of the fleet is doing the same thing. I did a walking tour today. I figured out how to pull my GoPro photos up on my computer. I had used it to take some photos while snorkeling. Most were mediocre but some were better than average. I will not be able to post them until we get a real good internet connection. We will read some of the information on Isabella tonight. We already know we want to go see the lava tunnels. These are tunnels of lava flows, where the inside of a. read more...
Lexington - Captain Bob: walking tour
I did a walking tour of the interpretive center and Darwin Bay. It was a self guided trip with a lot of walking. I did snorkel in the bay. I talked to some young people that were doing volunteer work in the islands in return for a place to stay and only working 4 hours a day. The first photos are of cactus and their blooms, next an iguana, then a gun that was installed during World War II, then a statue of Charles Darwin, txt photos of Darwin Bay where snorkeled, next photo over land looking out to the boat,another looking out to boat(girl on beach added attraction), Ct Darwin and I Hope all is well with youMore photos this time since I have better internet image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image6 image7 image8 image9 image10 image11 image12 image13 image14. read more...
Misto - Days 41-43: San Cristobal
The anchorage at Puerto Baquerizo was not as difficult as feared and we were able to anchor without a stern anchor.The monohulls certainly rolled in the swell more than we did! We passed the official hull inspection on the day of our arrival, but had to wait until the following day to be cleared.Nine officials crowded into our cockpit and the process was fairly brisk.We were asked to show our flares, fire extinguishers, paper charts of the Galapagos, capacity of our holding tanks and our GPS position.Once cleared in we were free to enjoy San Cristobal. Over the next two days we enjoyed happy hours at the Miconia Hotel, dinner at Rostia's and a great boat tour to Kicker Rock where we snorkeled through the gap in the rocks seeing a couple of turtles, sea lions and many fish - even though. read more...
Timshel - Panama to Galapagos day 7
There were a lot of birds, some sort of gull making a strange whirring noise,around the boat at night - perhaps it indicates that we are getting closer to land.Having motored most of the night again, hoisted the Halfwinder (cruising chute) at 0530 - and the wind immediately died away.But we persevered sailing at just 3 to 4 knots (and would have been less without the favourable current).Steve woke me at 0750 to say that the time was nigh - we were about to cross the equator for the first time!The crew (assorted soft toys, Teddy bears, a Snoopy and a Penguin) were assembled for their photo opportunity along with the champagne that had been chilling in the fridge.Steve and I dressed up - possibly a Sea Nymph and Neptune respectively, though Neptune had to make do with the shark (towed. read more...
Lexington - Captain Bob: more from the sea
The whole crew went on a tour today that the World Cruising Club had set up in our program. It was a 2/3 day tour. We went to a beach for swim snorkel and then to a place called Kicker Rock.We had an excellent naturalist, a tour guide trained an registered by the government. He spoke excellent English and was very knowledgeable. He snorkeled with us and discussed things while underway. I will post photos image3 image2 image1. read more...
Firefly - French Guiana not Fernando de Noronha
Today is Saturday 18th of February and Firefly is passing the north eastern corner of Brazil having left Salvador 4 days ago. It has been a good passage heading north east up to Cabo De Sao Roque where we are now altering course to the north west. On the basis of information about ocean swells, received via e mail from several sources, we decided not to go to Fernando de Noronha. Noronha is a national park and anchoring is restricted to one area that is open to the north and notoriously rolly - the predicted swells for the next few days are coming from the north. Therefore it would have likely been very uncomfortable if we were able to anchor at all.We are now planning to stop at French Guiana en route to Grenada. As we sail up the coast of French Guiana we will anchor for a night off. read more...