can we help
+44(0)1983 296060
+1 757-788-8872
tell me moreJoin a rally


Comocean -

Beating to Bermuda
Author: Toby Hynes

Since our last report out, we have entered an enormous pressure system. We moved as we entered it into serious clouds and squalls. Initial winds were 10-15 knots but shifted as we approached the system to 17-19. John and Norm decided a reef was important, so we threw in a first reef on the main. We decided to leave the genoa fully out. The boat began to race at close to eight knots as the genoa drove us, bow down, through some serious weather. From that moment on we have been hauling at a 25 degree tilt. As the winds picked up, the sea was confused, and water over the transom became normal. One wave, as Norm had just begun the :30 P.M. SSB call, found Norm at the helm table with about a half a gallon of fresh salt water, We have moved to now sailing with the hatch cover closed. Norm is also more sympathetic to Joel, who while sleeping the first day took one gallon into the salon couch (lee Bed).

If you have read earlier entries to Comocean’s blog, you might remember a guest entry by John Hoffman (current crew member). These might be good reading now for Ed Roland and Bob Fields who will join Norm and me for the second leg to Cape Cod. The one most appropriate point he made about preparing for a trip on Comocean in the Caribbean 1500 was, “to stand in the shower, with one women’s 6 inch high heel on, and have your wife throw a bucket of cold water at you”.
Preparing dinner was a bit complex. While the team was willingly ready to go for a second round of turkey or baloney sandwiches, the skipper felt a heartier meal in order. However, it would be a nuclear event. We turned the engine on to get sufficient amps to use the inverter and microwave. Chicken Parmesan and String Beans were served. At that time it was DARK! We had heavy cloud cover and no moon working for us. It was the same feeling we had the first six hours of the 1500 every night.

With the size of the pressure system, a report from Brizo, an Oyster 55 about to enter Bermuda this morning, that they also have our 9-11 knot NNE winds right on our bow, and a little info last night from Seth, I believe we will make a landing early on the 9th… everyone could live with this given the no wind first three days.

We have done a little pick up around the boat this morning. Stowed trash picked up the food dropped last night, the coffee grounds just spilled, and the debris that went flying as we entered this tack. The Skipper has suggested a team shower on the fantail, which was met with lukewarm results. The skipper shall show leadership, however, and appear ready with towel and soap in the cockpit at noon. Joanne will confirm this is not a pretty sight. The skipper will not report out at a later date on whether there were any other takers. Comocean adheres to the famed what happens in Vegas adage.

Previous | Next