Meritage - Log entry 3: Cape May!
We survived our Ocean journey! The day started in Virginia and ended in New Jersey! Thats pretty cool for a bay sailor like me.
1. Motoring out of Portsmouth with a surface submarine (and his armed patrol boat escort) beside us!
2. If that wasn't cool enough, watching an aircraft carrier steam past us made us feel like the speck that we were!
3. 12 hours of sailing including another few hours of the spinnaker flying (we are determined to hoist that thing smoothly before the trip is over)!
4. Watching the sunset over water and not land! As an east coaster this only happens when you are more than 15 miles offshore!
5. Alas, the winds would not hold out and we were back to motoring by 1am. Fortunately by morning, just as we were about to make shake-n-pour pancakes, the wind returned and breakfast had to be cereal and croissants!
6. Arrival into Cape May inlet. We were greeted by obnoxious mega fishing boats racing to get back for 5pm happy hour. Their wakes in the inlet are wicked! Jersey.
7. The celebratory dinner with the fleet. Bill, Paul, Craig and I gorged on our fish dinners like we had just returned from sea...oh wait!
8. We are in port for all of tomorrow! Thinking about the marina pool and more seafood before coming home on Leg 3!