can we help
+44(0)1983 296060
+1 757-788-8872
tell me moreJoin a rally


Colourful Salvador

A little bit more than 1 year after the World ARC fleet was in South America leaving the Panama Canal behind them they were on their way back to this continent heading to Salvador, 1910NM West of St-Helena. As usual the South Atlantic provided again really pleasant condition for the crossing with good wind speed and angle.


After 11 days at sea the 1st World ARC boat, Arabela was making landfall at the Terminal Turistico Nautico Da Bahia, welcome by the team and locals. The rest of the boats quickly came in to complete the fleet within 3 days after the 1st arrival. During the few days following their arrivals participants enjoyed discovering the old city of Pelourinho taking the elevator from the bottom of the city to the upper part as well as going to the Barra lighthouse, to check the beach. The all city was getting ready for the biggest carnival in the World, with stages building up everywhere, wooden planks to cover and protect all the building and museum, more lights on the street, and already some parties for the pre-carnival.


Before the carnival was officially starting on Thursday the following week, participants received from a local sailor a cruising briefing with all the information they needed to know about the bay and it’s surrounding. 


On the following day they were all invited for the prize giving and welcome party given on the terrace of the Marina, enjoying the Caipirinha as well as the local food “Acaraje” served by the Bahianas wearing their traditional costume. OWL took 1st place on this Leg when Aurora and Zeeland took respectively 2nd and 3nd place. After receiving their prizes a group of Capoeira performed inviting participants to show their skills.


The week before the Carnival started boats went exploring the bay of Bahia, going to Ilha do Mare for the day and overnight in the beautiful fisherman harbour of Itaparica, after 2-3 days cruising around they came back at the Terminal Nautico for the 1st official day of the Carnival. Participants booked ticket for a Camarote on the Friday night to get a good feeling of the atmosphere. Participants enjoyed the view over the street where all the trio electrico passed in front but also the free drinks served inside the Camarote and the concert. On the following days of carnival participants took part of the kids and family defile in Pelourinho, or went back to see the trio electrico in Barra, or Campo Grande.


After 5 intense days of craziness, made of music, dancing and parties the city came back to normal and participants went to visit another place in the vicinity of Bahia 30NM South in Morro de San Paulo before starting their cruise up north to Cabedelo for the rendez-vous at the end of the month.


Previous | Next