Hosted by World Cruising Club in association with Yachting World, the Ocean Cruising Seminar will return to Guildford, UK from Friday 16th to Sunday 18th March 2018. Open to all, the seminar is perfect for those considering the transition from coastal cruising to blue water passage making. Lecturers have been chosen for their wealth of knowledge in their specialist fields including refitting a yacht for offshore cruising, communications equipment choices, sourcing and interpreting weather forecasts and heavy weather sailing techniques.
Lecturers have been chosen specifically for their knowledge and practical experience in their specialist fields and will cover the following topics during the weekend event:
Outfitting your boat for offshore cruising
- how to convert your boat from a coastal cruiser to an offshore passage-maker and the equipment you need to consider
Sails and Rigging
- are your sails ready for offshore? Choosing and maintaining your sails. Top tips for maintaining your rig and selecting the right downwind sailplan.
Managing your Boat and Crew Offshore
- tips on crew management, watch keeping and running a good ship.
- what equipment you will need and how to use it to keep your crew safe
- how to do a power audit; understanding batteries and charging methods.
Communications Systems for Offshore
- how to keep in contact and get weather forecasts at sea
Enjoying Life At Sea
- it is fun to go sailing - what its really like --- including tips for provisioning
Understanding Ocean Weather
- learn the tricks for crossing oceans safely
Timeline to Departure
- most important things to remember before you set off
"An excellent programme that I would recommend to anybody considering joining the ARC - or making a long passage.” Commented Ian Forshew after attending the seminar, “Very well organised right down to the table plans which encouraged gave good opportunities to meet others and encouraged debate."
The weekend will comprise a series of presentations made by industry experts, as well as opportunities for one-to-one discussions. A select number of companies will provide a mini exhibition of relevant equipment and services, with the opportunity to discuss insurance, liferafts and other useful issues.
There will be around 50-70 participants, and as we know there is lots of benefit in meeting fellow cruisers, lunch breaks and dinners have been arranged to facilitate mingling and discussions. The Holiday Inn, Guildford is conveniently located close to Guildford train station, and approximately 40 minutes from international airports. Hotel accommodation is optional for those based locally.
Sign up before the end of October 2017 to benefit from a £25 early payment discount on the Seminar fees.
Click here for more information and to sign up