March 16/17, 2019
From recent Ocean Sailing Seminar participants:
"I have to say that the two day seminar was one of the best events of my life. No kidding. Its one thing to read about passage making and quite another to hear about it from folks who have done it."
"My wife told me that prior to your seminar, she was looking for a way to bow out of the trip - primarily out of fear. But now, she is not only willing, but enthusiastic. She is now looking forward to planning and preparing for the adventure."
The two day Ocean Sailing Seminar, supported by SAIL magazine, covers all aspects of preparing to go ocean sailing, presented by experts, industry professionals and experienced cruisers. Lecturers have been chosen for their knowledge and practical experience in their specialist fields. Special emphasis will be on the ARC Caribbean 1500 and World ARC routes and what to expect in terms of weather and equipment issues, but anyone interested in offshore sailing will gain valuable lessons from the weekend. Seminar fee includes meals at a quality hotel, plus full lecture notes, and a free copy of SAIL magazine. Delegate rates on hotel accommodation available.REGISTRATION Open: click here
You’ll learn about ...
- Outfitting your boat for offshore cruising - how to convert your boat from a coastal cruiser to an offshore passage-maker, how to plan you refit, and the equipment you need to consider
- Sails and Rigging - are your sails ready for offshore? Choosing and maintaining your sails. Top tips for maintaining your rig
- Safety Equipment - what equipment you will need and how to use it to keep your crew safe
- Electronics Equipment - taking the mystery out of choosing the right navigation systems.
- Ladies Roundtable - a chance to share knowledge and concerns without the men around
- Managing your Boat and Crew Offshore - tips on crew management, watches and running a good ship.
- Power Management - how to do a power audit; understanding batteries and charging methods.
- Communications Systems for Offshore - how to keep in contact and get weather forecasts at sea
- Developing your Water and Fuel Plan - planning your passage so you don’t run out of essentials
- Enjoying Life At Sea - it is fun to go sailing – what its really like --- including tips for provisioning
- Understanding Offshore Weather and Navigating the Gulf Stream - learn the tricks for getting south safely
- Tactics for Heavy Weather Sailing & Planning for Offshore Emergencies - keeping crew and boat safe when the going gets tough
- Common Problems At Sea - things that break, and how to stop them breaking!
- Enjoying Life in the Islands - make the most of your Caribbean cruising -- customs, pets, security, things to do
- Timeline to Departure - most important things to remember
And it’s a great excuse to spend a spring weekend in Annapolis! The small waterfront community has loads to offer sailors. Head out to Bacon Sails on Legion Ave, just a five minute drive from the Westin Hotel to search through a treasure trove of new and used sailing gear, from bronze sextants to anchor windlasses and used sails in one of the most unique chandleries around. Take the short walk down to the waterfront to watch the sailboats and grab a coffee at City Dock or check out the gorgeous campus of the US Naval Academy (just bring your ID!). And make sure to pop across the drawbridge to the locals’ ‘Maritime Republic of Eastport’ for lunch or dinner at The Boatyard or simply a walk around the quiet, picturesque residential streets.
Seminar Fees (5% discount available if booked before January 7, 2019)
- $395 for seminar- includes all breaks and dinner on Saturday night
- $45 discount off boat entry fee for the 2019 ARC Caribbean 1500 or ARC Bahamas, ARC Europe , ARC/+ or World ARC 2020, if entered in the rally by April 30, 2018.
- Discounts for current rally entrants - ask for your discount code!
All-Inclusive Package Includes
- Two full days of Seminar Lectures: 8am to 5pm on Saturday; 8am to 3pm on Sunday
- Seminar lecture notes
- All meals and breaks
- Dinner with wine on Saturday night
- World Cruising Club staff support including management of hotel bookings and other administrative activities
BookingBOOKING OPEN now click HERE
The booking can be made completely online, including secure online payment. If you prefer to book over the phone, please call us on +1 757 788 8872