World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise

David Clowes
Australia
- all messages by user

21/11/2011 11:15:37
Sailing West- East Darwin to Cairns Hi Richard,
I did this in May/June 2009. The general weather pattern is against you - easterlies or SSE across the top and SE up to 35kn or more down the east coast. I wanted to get down south as fast as I could.

I went straight from Darwin to Gove under Croker Is, through the 'hole in the wall'. Anchored outside the Gove yacht club and refueled at the Perkins wharf the next morning. Headed off straight away and had a good quiet run across the gulf. I was prepared to head a little south into the gulf if it meant gaining a beam reach.

Headed for Seisia as AQIS have no requirements. [They do if you intend coming into TI] Stayed in Seisia for a few days until I got a quietish weather window to run to Morris Island. Next to Stanley anchorage. Next to Cape Flattery, Then to Hope Is. After that, straight to trinity inlet. I had a good set of sailing but pretty much as expected, a close beat and plenty of water across the bow. I went when the weather was advantageous or kept pushing it to get somewhere before a strong breeze set against me.

The 'Over the To'p rally, I think goes the wrong way.

It was a great trip, good luck.
edited by David Clowes
Australia on 21/11/2011
pages: 1

GN Espace Galley Solution
Integrated galley solutions for yachts
www.gn-espace.com

Peters & May
International Yacht Transportation Providers
www.petersandmay.com

Site By Netguides