World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » SSB in the Caribbean

Please login to create a post.
26/02/2011 10:22:35

Val Ellis<br>United Kingdom
Val Ellis
United Kingdom

Have a look on Noonsite's Communication page. http://www.noonsite.com/General/Communications
02/02/2015 22:43:25

Jean-Camille Raymond<br>France<br>Kalisea
Jean-Camille Raymond
France
Kalisea

Hello, I will join ARC 2015 and was wandering what was the proportion of boat with SSB versus Sat only?

I'll get a SSB system for sure as I love the magic of radio, but how many operators are still using it while crossing the big sea with ARC ?

--
www.kalisea.net
03/02/2015 09:30:42

Jeremy Wyatt<br>United Kingdom<br>Test Boat Multihull
Jeremy Wyatt
United Kingdom
Test Boat Multihull

Jean-Camille Raymond
France
Carrera TBC
wrote:
Hello, I will join ARC 2015 and was wandering what was the proportion of boat with SSB versus Sat only?

I'll get a SSB system for sure as I love the magic of radio, but how many operators are still using it while crossing the big sea with ARC ?

The ARC communications requirements are for boats to have the ability to send/receive emails whilst at sea. This can be done via SSB radio + pactor modem, or via a satellite telephone. Typically around 85% of ARC boats use satellite for email and 15% use SSB. YOur decision may depend on what you are doing after the ARC. If you plan to cruise in the Pacific, or spend long periods (1 year +) living on board your boat, then we recommend having an SSB radio. Whether you chose to use your SSB for email, may depend on your equipment budget, or how competent you are at operating your radio. SSB+Pactor is cheaper use longer term, but more expensive to buy and requires greater technical skill. Most cruisers using satellite for email opt for an Iridium telephone or data-hub as these are the cheapest to buy and provide sufficient data connection for most cruisers at sea needs. Do remember that once in the Caribbean you are likely to use shoreside WiFi for your comms. Much more information is provided in the ARC Rally Handbook. See the Communications Section. You can download this via www.worldcruising.com > login, then click on the ARC logo and the link to "Documents and Information".
08/02/2015 17:15:26

Jean-Camille Raymond<br>France<br>Kalisea
Jean-Camille Raymond
France
Kalisea

Thanks, i was pretty sure that most boat will rely upon sat for email/grib files. This is my choice as well.

Among the 85% SAT phone equiped botas, how many are using daily the SSB ARC net ?

Should I expect 30 "voice" SSB users daily ( 15% of 200 boats ) or more ?

What's your experience about it ?

--
www.kalisea.net
09/02/2015 11:53:52

Jeremy Wyatt<br>United Kingdom<br>Test Boat Multihull
Jeremy Wyatt
United Kingdom
Test Boat Multihull

Almost 60% of ARC boats have an SSB radio.

I can't say exactly how many join the radio net every day, but a reasonably high number do.

There are also lots of good radio nets for cruisers in the Caribbean and Pacific, so if you are going to do live-aboard cruising, and you are a sociable person, you will find it useful.
Jean-Camille Raymond
France
Carrera TBC
wrote:
Thanks, i was pretty sure that most boat will rely upon sat for email/grib files. This is my choice as well.

Among the 85% SAT phone equiped botas, how many are using daily the SSB ARC net ?

Should I expect 30 "voice" SSB users daily ( 15% of 200 boats ) or more ?

What's your experience about it ?

Home » Weather and Routing » SSB in the Caribbean

Imray charts and books
Buy charts, books and software. Download corrections and supplements
www.imray.com

Ocean-Pro Weather
Advanced Offshore Weather Routing, Consulting & Resources
www.ocean-pro.com

Site By Netguides