World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Convoys and Cruising in Company » Italy to Tunisia

Please login to create a post.
10/02/2018 14:17:52

Richard Spigler<br>United States of America
Richard Spigler
United States of America

Am thinking of sailing from Italy to Tunisia to reset our 18 month clock. Is it safe sailing? I've heard stories about refugee boats, pirates, terrorism, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
20/02/2018 15:32:17

Johan Willem Berends<br>Netherlands<br>Eleni
Johan Willem Berends
Netherlands
Eleni

Richard Spigler
United States of America
wrote:
Am thinking of sailing from Italy to Tunisia to reset our 18 month clock. Is it safe sailing? I've heard stories about refugee boats, pirates, terrorism, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Richard, I only can say that the most marina's are safe. The service is good and you dont need to worry about refugee boats and pirates etc.
27/02/2018 16:20:58

Massimiliano Cusimano<br>Italy
Massimiliano Cusimano
Italy

Hello Richard,
I am a sailor from Sicily and did it e few times. Is more dagerous the south-east coast of Sicily rather than the south-west coast. This because refuggees comes mostly from Libya and not Tunisia.

It depends where you want to go to Tunisia there are two ways to do it.

1 - If you want to go to Hammamet (Yasmine Marina), Monastir or even more south, then is better via Pantelleria, departing from Trapani 75MN or from Marsala 60NM 200°SSW, and then from Pantelleria to you destination in Tunisia.

2 - On the other hand, if you want to go to Tunis (I do not recommend, because of number of ships and bad mooring facilities) then is better to cut a little more to the West pointing to Cap Bon 78NM from Marsala and 237°WSW, from there you will pass the Zembra Island on you starboard and head down south to Tunis for another 44NM and 240°WSW.

Winds in this area are mostly from NW especially in this period. If you do not have experince in the Mediterranean it is actully little awkward, since wavews are smaller but steeper than in the ocean.

Fair winds!

Home » Convoys and Cruising in Company » Italy to Tunisia

HYDROVANE self steering
HYDROVANE is both Self Steering and a 'ready to go' complete emergency
www.hydrovane.com

Mactra Marine Equipment
Exclusive UK distributor for Schenker and Katadyn watermakers
www.mactrashop.co.uk

Site By Netguides