World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Panama-Fiji crossing, November-December

Please login to create a post.
15/10/2014 17:38:31

Paul Watson<br>United States
Paul Watson
United States

I am new to the forum and new to long distance sailing as well. My son has hired on as one of two crew members on a 65' sailing vessel scheduled to leave Panama October 18th (Saturday). They will sail directly to Tahiti (skipping Galapagos), on to Fiji then on to NZ. There are two owners and two crew, neither crew member has sailing experience. The owners have significant Pacific sailing experience out of New Zealand, which is their home, but have not made a trans- Pacific crossing before. I have concerns as a parent. The season, the fact that this is a new boat to the owners who just purchased it in the US, the lack of experienced crew, etc. We have been unable to have more than a short conversation with the boat owners. My son and his friend, who is the other crew member, connected with them on the internet. The friend is on board now sailing from the Florida Keys to Panama. His opinion is that the boat and owners are fine. It has been rough and hot in the Gulf so far so it's been a little tough with only three people on board but that is surely to be expected at times on a long trip. Will it get better in the Pacific? How dangerous is the choice of seasons given the boat and crew? Any general advise would be appreciated.
17/10/2014 16:37:12

Peter Puky<br>Canada
Peter Puky
Canada

Paul. Typically the World Cruising Club asks that vessels joining in a rally do a shakedown sail and have their vessel inspected for all the safety equipment etc. Each year there are many vessels joining in on the various rallies. The ARC and ARC+ included more than 250 boats last year. And while not without (mostly minor incident) they made it. If you're wishing to get a first hand view of what's likely to be the situation, I'd suggest you read the logs from this years WARC fleet. You'll see what the weather was like this year and what they saw at each port. I've been following the fleet this year as I'm planning to join the 2014-2015 rally.

Peter
17/10/2014 17:33:03

Paul Watson<br>United States
Paul Watson
United States

Thanks for the referral to the WARC logs I think the site is down now but I will check again later. We read a lot about the "safe" season to transit Panama to Tahiti but can't find a thing for those who will make the trip beginning in November anyway. Will the favorable winds die out? How significant are the cyclone risks? etc etc. It appears this trip will go forward: one boat, off season, inexperienced crew, new boat to owners who are still learning its capabilities etc. Hope to reach them directly to discuss once they arrive in Panama.
17/10/2014 18:16:32

Peter Puky<br>Canada
Peter Puky
Canada

There is an app called PassageWeather that gives location and season forecasts. Hurricane season does not end till the end of November and as you can see there's lots of TRS activity out there right now. (Also check out "windscape" and "intellicast")

New hurricanes typically only germinate at 7° north or south of the equator but that doesn't mean they can't move towards the equator. The really important question is if they have the equipment to be informed about what's happening weather wise, the skill to interpret the weather systems and have a plan to get out of the way in time. The strategy is the same, but the direction you head is the opposite for the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. There are concepts such as "recurve" that should be understood. The good news is, you only require one person that knows what they're doing to make a difference. Hopefully that person is the skipper.

Home » Weather and Routing » Panama-Fiji crossing, November-December

Iridium Satellite Phones
Iridium or Inmarsat FB250. Full aftersales support. Shipped next day
www.mailasail.com

Imray charts and books
Buy charts, books and software. Download corrections and supplements
www.imray.com

Site By Netguides