World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » How far north USA to miss Hurricanes

Please login to create a post.
05/06/2013 10:43:57

Mike Gahan<br>United Kingdom<br>Tamsel
Mike Gahan
United Kingdom
Tamsel

We are considering leaving the boat in the USA after the ARC and our Caribbean cruise this xmas. I would like to know how far north I need to be in the USA to sailduring the months of late July and August 2014 to miss the hurricanes.

Any advice would be appreciated.
15/06/2013 01:20:30

Dick Drinkrow<br>United Kingdom
Dick Drinkrow
United Kingdom

Hi Mike - we have been in Nova Scotia the past two seasons and both times hit by hurricane left-overs. There are recognised hurricane holes in NS so it is relatively common. I think your question is more for your insurance people.
22/06/2013 07:43:36

Myron T Babler<br>United Kingdom
Myron T Babler
United Kingdom

Mike,
Most insurance say that north of the Carolinas is far enough north, but Brunswick, GA is 30.5 degrees north which I have heard is the most southern part of the northern zone which is except able for some insurance companies as long as you haul out for an expected direct hit.

Myron T Babler
18/09/2013 11:33:18

Alan Morgan<br>United Kingdom<br>Fuller Spirit
Alan Morgan
United Kingdom
Fuller Spirit

Perhaps the question is the wrong way around.
Normally it would be 'how far SOUTH do I have to be'.

Study of the Routing Charts and past years of Hurricanes on the NOAA Site would give you an idea of what you can 'possibly' expect.

On the other hand, if you wishes to have your vessel brought back to UK waters in the Spring, say at the end of April or from somewhere on the US East seaboard in May then I could assist with possible delivery options.

Costs are very reasonable for either a delivery or assisted passage with owner aboard etc.

You can contact me on my email at ajmbwas@ntlworld.com if I can help further.

Regards Alan.
23/10/2017 19:24:03

Michael Torras<br>United States of America
Michael Torras
United States of America

Mike Gahan
United Kingdom
Tamsel
wrote:
We are considering leaving the boat in the USA after the ARC and our Caribbean cruise this xmas. I would like to know how far north I need to be in the USA to sailduring the months of late July and August 2014 to miss the hurricanes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike,

If you look at the image below from a study by the State Climatology Department in Louisiana it shows you the places that are least likely to be hit by hurricanes, historically. Going North, up the east coast, the first hurricane hole you get to is Brunswick, GA / Saint Simons Island, GA area. If you do a Google search for "Louisiana State University conducted a comprehensive analysis of hurricane strikes from Texas to Maine" you'll find the research paper. Above that you'll need to travel to Maryland for the same historical protection.

edited by Michael Torras
United States on 30/10/2017
27/11/2017 09:22:03

Jeremy Wyatt<br>United Kingdom<br>Test Boat 3
Jeremy Wyatt
United Kingdom
Test Boat 3

Most insurance companies will require you to be north of Cape Hatteras before the end of June. So if you are aiming to cruise in the USA, then coming into the Chesapeake Bay is a good landfall and puts you in the right area. Typically most insurance companies won't allow you south of Hatteras until 1 November. Definitely worth checking with your insurer. Also don't forget that as you are arriving in the US by boat, you will need a visa. The visa waiver scheme does not apply to arrivals by private boat.

Home » Weather and Routing » How far north USA to miss Hurricanes

Ocean-Pro Weather
Advanced Offshore Weather Routing, Consulting & Resources
www.ocean-pro.com

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Site By Netguides