World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » When best to sail from Australia to Asia

Please login to create a post.
02/03/2012 04:36:00

David Peters<br>United Kingdom
David Peters
United Kingdom

We have just purchased a 53 ft steel ketch in Sydney Australia, and will be taking her to Langkawi/Phuket area as soon as conditions permit. We expect to be a crew of 4.

Local knowledge leaves us to believe June might be a good time to begin.

With an estimated 5,000 nm journey we are anticipating a 3 month voyage, hopefully sitting out any really bad weather, but would like to arrive sooner if possible

We would be grateful for all and any advice as to the best time to make the journey and suggested itinerary and timescale.

Many thanks in advance

Maggie & David Peters
08/06/2012 01:02:34

Lex Adams<br>Australia
Lex Adams
Australia

Hi Maggie and Dave,

Cruising north from Sydney to Asia is good anytime after April and you want to be out of Darwin by late October to avoid the cyclone season in the north. Watch your weather going up the NSW coast and southern Queensland but once you reach the sunshine coast you can basically day hop along the entire coast as there ae many great anchorages to pick from. I would advise getting Alan Lucus Cruising the Coral Coast as it is the definitive cruising guide for the east Qld coast. Once on Thursday Island you can decide whether to shoot straight for Darwin or have a stop at Gove.

If you left Sydney anytime up to late September it would give you time to get to your destination without rushing it and allow you to sit out any bad weather on the first part of your voyage.

The weather in Port Douglas, where I am based is beautiful at the moment and for the next few moths its ideal cruising weather in the far north.

Hope you have a great trip.

Lexx
14/06/2012 01:28:36

David Peters<br>United Kingdom
David Peters
United Kingdom

Hi Lex, many thanks for the info

We left Sydney early May and are now in the Whitsundays. Luckily we missed all the bad weather in NSW and south of Sandy Cape.

Heading North in beautiful weather to join the Darwin Rally leaving on 28th July

Regards

Maggie & David
15/06/2012 02:13:01

Jaydee Cork<br>Australia
Jaydee Cork
Australia

Hi Maggie & David,

I'm very interested to join the crew for the rally. I've sent you a private message.

Home » Weather and Routing » When best to sail from Australia to Asia

Ocean-Pro Weather
Advanced Offshore Weather Routing, Consulting & Resources
www.ocean-pro.com

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Site By Netguides