World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » East through Torres Strait

Please login to create a post.
28/02/2012 07:36:57

Paul Jennings<br>Malaysia<br>Taniwha
Paul Jennings
Malaysia
Taniwha

Hi all,

After sailing in Asia for the last 10 years, we're considering taking our yacht back to NZ sometime in the next few years. Does anyone have experience of doing Singapore - NZ (or Sydney for that matter). We're assuming the best way is through Torres Strait and into the pacific.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Paul.
01/05/2012 12:43:49

David Bowden<br>Australia
David Bowden
Australia

Hi Paul,
I have posted a few replies over the last few days about getting back from SE Asia (see my article in the Countries section - Malaysia, Indonesia. While most of these refer to the East Coast of Australia I have made mention of a Kiwi who stayed north of the equator to find and keep the east setting Equatorial current. Another Kiwi cruised a long way east through Micronesia before turning south to Fiji (date line was mentioned as the turning point). To head east through Torres Strait is a tough route unless you do it in the cyclone season when a NW wind is more likely. Last year in Oct (2011) a colleague sat at Horn Island for 3 weeks waiting for a break in the 25-30KT SE wind. The other route is over the top of PNG to the Louisiades then the Solomons, Vanuatu, New Cal and NZ in Oct/Nov. All of this is upwind in fresh SE trades. Not my idea of an easy sail.

Cheers

Dave
11/05/2012 06:35:41

Paul Jennings<br>Malaysia<br>Taniwha
Paul Jennings
Malaysia
Taniwha

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the notice of those articles - very useful. I'm beginning to wonder if round the bottom of Australia might be a better way, or even putting her on a ship. Bashing into head winds & seas for a few months isn't high on my priority list.

Thanks,

Paul.
12/05/2012 11:12:25

Jim Den Hartog<br>Netherlands
Jim Den Hartog
Netherlands

Hi Paul

This topic has come up at various times in the past. When we sailed in the 'easy' direction i.e from east to west we came from Vanuatu and the Solomons then north of PNG via the Hermit Islands which are part of PNG. To our surprise we had contrary winds and on doing some research found that that is the norm late in the year. If I was going east, (we are now in Sumatra) and we would like to in order to visit the Australia we missed, I would do so north of PNG in november, december or january. I would tarry in the northern Solomons until hurricane season was past and then head for Australia via various routes. We had winds up to 30 kts from the west while in the Hermits!

Good luck!

Jim/Helen sv GAIA

Home » Weather and Routing » East through Torres Strait

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Iridium Satellite Phones
Iridium or Inmarsat FB250. Full aftersales support. Shipped next day
www.mailasail.com

Site By Netguides