World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Pacific sailing

Please login to create a post.
22/04/2010 08:43:56

Hugh Hendry<br>United Arab Emirates
Hugh Hendry
United Arab Emirates

Hi, I am buying a Ketch in San Pedro later this year, once I have outfitted for proper blue water I intend to sail her across the Pacific to Japan/Asia. My yacht is a 48 foot ketch and I was wondering if anyone has done this before that can guide me on a passage plan/experience etc. I am looking at finishing the outfit by year end, and starting my voyage around March/April 2011. Any help/suggstions etc will be warmly accepted.
26/04/2010 14:03:23

Sue Richards<br>United Kingdom
Sue Richards
United Kingdom

Hi Hugh, I've just had a quick look at Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes (which is a great source of planning/weather info. for this route) as I can't find a route of this nature on noonsite, and the advised route to Japan from California, is via Hawaii (and Micronesia if wished). Best time to depart California is April/May, so your planned departure date sounds right. If you departed early April, you could aim to get to Japan (if you pressed on) for late April/early May, which is the start of the cruising season there. There's so much info. in the book, with pros and cons for different times of the year, I recommend you get it. For info. on Japan cruising see http://www.kensblog.com/ which has lots of very useful info, plus http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Japan/, and please do send any information you collect to us here at noonsite as we rarely receive updates from that part of the world. Fair winds.

Home » Weather and Routing » Pacific sailing

Imray charts and books
Buy charts, books and software. Download corrections and supplements
www.imray.com

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Site By Netguides