World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Getting back to Europe -other than via the Red Sea

Please login to create a post.
19/08/2011 23:32:43

Sue Richards<br>United Kingdom
Sue Richards
United Kingdom

More and more cruisers have been asking us advice about alternative routes back to Europe from the Indian Ocean avoiding GOA and the Red Sea. Surprisingly this route has so far not been discussed on this forum, so I post this sticky in the hope that cruisers who have completed this route will share their experiences.

From past reports on noonsite, Jimmy Cornell recommends the following route, with a departure from S. Africa in January:
Cape Town to St Helena, Ascension, north across the equator to Praia in the Cape Verdes, then to the Canaries (he stopped in Gomera), and on to Gibraltar (good winds during a SW depression - frequent in March). On the wind north of Cape Verdes to Canaries, so take short tacks and also enough fuel from Cape Town (or St Helena).

Please post details of routes that have worked.]

See associated post here -
http://www.worldcruising.com/FORUM/messages.aspx?TopicID=935

edited by Sue Richards
United Kingdom on 12/03/2012
12/02/2012 06:07:38

Peter Hodge<br>Australia<br>Holdfast
Peter Hodge
Australia
Holdfast

Is it possible to round the Cape east to west in May/June.
I want to do Indonesion and Malaysian Rally then thailand over New Year. Andamans India to Maldives in April then down via Chagos, Etc to round Cape late autumn? Is it possible or crazy at this time of the year.

?
23/02/2012 01:08:11

Joanne Richardson<br>Thailand
Joanne Richardson
Thailand

I am currently in Phuket and was considering making the trip to south Africa via Maldives, Chagos, Mauricias. I would be unable to depart Phuket until late May. Is this leaving it to late? Does anybody have and advice on season change,
Expected seas etc.
28/02/2012 07:33:47

Paul Jennings<br>Malaysia<br>Taniwha
Paul Jennings
Malaysia
Taniwha

Hi Joanne,

Yes, that will almost certainly be too late because the SW monsoon season will have kicked in by then. The prevailing winds will be SW, and they will likely start building higher seas as they blow across the Indian Ocean. You'll be sailing into both the wind and the waves. If you look at the pilot chart for the Indian Ocean, you'll generally have force 4 or higher wind directly from the SW, which is the direction you need to go. High waves will be common.

The best time to leave Phuket on a westward course is just after New Year, when you'll get the gentler downwind NE blowing, and smaller seas. If you anchour in Nai Han bay on the south point of Phuket around that time, you'll see yachts sailing off over the horizon every day; although this has become less common in the past few years as people worry about the piracy in the Middle East.

This timing allows one to explore Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, etc, with the main miles of ocean crossing done downwind, and then gaining favourable winds off the coast of Africa in the middle of the year, allowing you to enjoy sailing and exploring that area before leaving for the Atlantic in Jan.

I wouldn't try leaving Phuket west-bound any later than late-Jan.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Paul.
05/03/2012 03:12:33

Joanne Richardson
Thailand

Hi Paul, thanks for the feedback.
29/03/2012 11:47:24

Mike Reynolds<br>Australia<br>Zen Again
Mike Reynolds
Australia
Zen Again

Hi Joanne,

I'm contemplating a similar passage to yours, although we'll be departing Thailand in early 2013. My research, primarily using Jimmy Cornell's book (latest edition), suggests: Thailand to Sri Lanka Jan-Mar; Sri Lanka to Chagos Dec-Mar; and Chagos to Mauritius June.

By making progress westward (to Sri Lanka) before the SW trades settle it seems one can then head for Chagos with a good chance of W winds. A short stay in Chagos allows the southern cyclone season to finish before riding the SE trades to Mauritius.

At least that's what I believe is possible. May does seem to be late. Interested to hear reports from anyone who's done the suggested route.

Cheers,

Mike.
01/04/2012 03:17:32

Joanne Richardson
Thailand

Mike Reynolds
Australia
wrote:
Hi Joanne,

I'm contemplating a similar passage to yours, although we'll be departing Thailand in early 2013. My research, primarily using Jimmy Cornell's book (latest edition), suggests: Thailand to Sri Lanka Jan-Mar; Sri Lanka to Chagos Dec-Mar; and Chagos to Mauritius June.

By making progress westward (to Sri Lanka) before the SW trades settle it seems one can then head for Chagos with a good chance of W winds. A short stay in Chagos allows the southern cyclone season to finish before riding the SE trades to Mauritius.

At least that's what I believe is possible. May does seem to be late. Interested to hear reports from anyone who's done the suggested route.

Cheers,

Mike.
01/04/2012 03:19:51

Joanne Richardson
Thailand

Hi mike, thanks for the feedback. We are also now planning to do the trip in 2013. Will have to keep in touch

Thanks

Joanne

quote=Joanne Richardson
Thailand]Mike Reynolds
Australia
wrote:
Hi Joanne,

Cheers,

Mike.
22/10/2014 11:19:53

Sue Richards<br>United Kingdom
Sue Richards
United Kingdom

Good report just in from SY Gryphon 2 who crossed the Indian Ocean in May this year. See http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Indonesia/crossing-the-indian-ocean-may-2014/

Home » Weather and Routing » Getting back to Europe -other than via the Red Sea

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Ocean-Pro Weather
Advanced Offshore Weather Routing, Consulting & Resources
www.ocean-pro.com

Site By Netguides