World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Trinidad to Brazil

Please login to create a post.
17/06/2011 16:13:40

Mike Kopman<br>South Africa
Mike Kopman
South Africa

Hello,
I am contemplating a passage south to Brazil from Trinidad. World Cruising Routes describes a possible (though no doubt tedious) trip against the NW setting Guyana current (Route AT17) but specifies the best time to do this trip as between October and March, but I need to have the boat in Brazil by August. My options as I see it are to hug the coast to avoid the counter currents, or go well offshore for better sailing angles. Has anyone done this southward trip around this time of year, after a Caribbean winter perhaps?
Thanks very much,
Mike
01/10/2011 02:54:16

David Kory<br>United States
David Kory
United States

I'm late with a reply, but did this trip in July. Did you also complete your trip?
27/10/2011 21:38:29

Vincent Duke<br>Ireland
Vincent Duke
Ireland

Mike, I lived and sailed from Trinidad for 20 yrs. Save yourself an awful lot of grief and sail to the Azores, Cape Verdes and Brazil. A lot more miles but a lot less pain and suffering and damage to your boat........ Vin

Mike Kopman
South Africa
wrote:
Hello,
I am contemplating a passage south to Brazil from Trinidad. World Cruising Routes describes a possible (though no doubt tedious) trip against the NW setting Guyana current (Route AT17) but specifies the best time to do this trip as between October and March, but I need to have the boat in Brazil by August. My options as I see it are to hug the coast to avoid the counter currents, or go well offshore for better sailing angles. Has anyone done this southward trip around this time of year, after a Caribbean winter perhaps?
Thanks very much,
Mike
31/10/2011 18:29:21

David Kory<br>United States
David Kory
United States

I did this trip in July, the direct route, and did not experience any pain and suffering, and certainly no damage to the boat. It is true that most of the trip was close reaching, but it was also mostly light winds. If turning on the motor causes pain and suffering, then don't go this route. But there is no reason to damage the boat. For me, the much shorter time required on the direct route, as well as having the option to stop and anchor anytime I liked, or pull into to a port to re-supply or explore or whatever, far outweighed the option of crossing the ocean twice just to go downwind.

Home » Weather and Routing » Trinidad to Brazil

Ocean-Pro Weather
Advanced Offshore Weather Routing, Consulting & Resources
www.ocean-pro.com

Iridium Satellite Phones
Iridium or Inmarsat FB250. Full aftersales support. Shipped next day
www.mailasail.com

Site By Netguides