The 2012 Caribbean 1500 Rally Handbooks are now bring printed in Hunt Valley MD. One will be mailed to each confirmed entry in the Caribbean 1500 and ARC Bahamas.
The handbook is chock full of great advice and information on preparing for a bluewater passage, and what to expect in Hampton, Tortola and Green Turtle Cay. The four sections cover:
Basic schedule, meet the team, what to expect from rally support
- Advice and suggestions on buying and using safety equipment
- Tips for crews, including finding crew, training, and skipper responsibilities
- Preparing yourself for the rally, including insurance, clothing and immigration
- Preapring the boat, including thinking about what may go wrong, managing power onboard and useful lists for medical kits and spares
- Offshore passage tips, including fuel and water planning, provisioning, rigging checks, fishing, watch systems and sailing with children
3. Local Information
A to Z guides for Hampton, Nanny Cay and Green Turtle Cay, including details of the social programs.
4. Weather and Communications
- Advice on departing Hampton, crossing the Gulf Stream and landfall in Tortola and Green Turtle Cay (please not there will be a comprehensive pre-departure briefing in Hampton which will cover this in more detail)
- How the rally weather forecasts are sent to the boats, and other options for weather information
- How the competitive rally Cruising Division handicap system works
The Handbook is a distillation of more than 20 years' experience in organizing rallies and making offshore passages. Sections have been contributed by serious bluewater cruisers, professional captains and marine companies. Its not the only book you should have onboard, but it is a good start!
Please share the Handbook with your crew - it is also available as PDF sections for download by all registered participants in the rally. Download from the Members Area by logging in to www.worldcruising.com/membersarea