World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Sailing from Egypt to Mumbai

Please login to create a post.
25/06/2010 10:49:48

dennis bidwell<br>Egypt
dennis bidwell
Egypt

Hi I am planing a trip from Egypt to Mumbai, I would like to know the best time to leave Egypt, and as much information as i can gather. And if any other yacht is planing the same trip.
28/08/2010 09:29:26

TERRENCE LOW<br>United Kingdom
TERRENCE LOW
United Kingdom

We sailed with the Vasco da Gama Rally from Hurghada in January 2010, arrived Mumbai in mid April. you can do it much more quickly but then its a transit and not a cruise.
Despite many contrary reports, this was definitely a good time, although you must have access to GOOD weather information to sit out the inevitable bouts of head winds.
We had favourable northerlies until Feb when we were in Massawa. from there it was mixed but we sat in anchorages and waited for better weather. some of these places were a delight despite the weather.
We wished we had spent more time in the north sudanese marsa's.
do not take reef sailing for granted. ONLY enter marsas in good daylight (max 3pm), plan your arrivals accordingly.
we crossed the Bab in flat calm and exited the Red Sea sailing in light winds with a favourable current - what a dream!
Aden was great. Salalah, Oman is safe but expensive, but you need to stop there for your indian visa.
Mumbai is not a good anchorage and difficult for a cruising yacht unless you have a very good rib/outboard combo. better head for Goa.
Cochin now has a marina and is a good monsoon stop-over.

kind regards

Home » Weather and Routing » Sailing from Egypt to Mumbai

MobMat
MobMat - simple and effective man-overboard recovery
www.mobmat.com

Wind & Solar Charging!
Rutland Windchargers & SunWare solar panels for on board power
www.marlec.co.uk

Site By Netguides