World Cruising Club noonsite.com Members Area Forum ARC Rally Portugal ARC Europe World ARC Classic Malts Cruise
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Weather and Routing » Cartegena, Columbia to Sint Maarten

Please login to create a post.
08/08/2012 16:04:35

Joseph Fantasia<br>United States
Joseph Fantasia
United States

Hi:

I am looking for advice on best route to get a 60 ft sloop- Cruiser/Racer from Cartegena, Columbia to Sint Maarten. Month of January.

Thanks,

Joe Fantasia
09/08/2012 00:25:07

Matthew Dunstan<br>United Kingdom
Matthew Dunstan
United Kingdom

Hi John,
Unfortunately the winds are predominantly NE at this time of the year. Exactly where you want to be heading! I'd suggest pushing up and around to Aruba and then east across to somewhere between Grenada & Martinique. From there you have the best of it.

Regards,

Matthew
09/08/2012 15:25:35

Joseph Fantasia
United States

Hi Mathew:

Thanks for the post. Thought about your suggestion, but we were not much interested going East along the coast of Venezuela.

Wondered about heading North from Aruba and ending up wherever, and then going East along South coast of Dominican Republic, PR, Virgins etc. Any experience with that area?

Joe F.
18/08/2012 22:31:23

David Kory<br>United States
David Kory
United States

If you don't want to hug the Venezuelan coast, going north on the first leg can be a good option. As always it is weather dependent, and you may need to go north of DR and the Virgins to make it work. South of the DR you may be nose on the wind.

You would base your decision to turn right on the weather, and how well your boat sails to weather, so you know what angle works for you. You may find you zig zag a bit, going north, then east, then north again, then east again, taking best advantage of the passing weather.

If you don't want to beat so much, and are OK with some extra miles, you could go north of Cuba, then beam reach all the way down from there.

One downside with a northerly route in winter is that it will be cooler to the north, but the upside is that winter storms along the southern U.S./northern Carib can provide better wind angles for you.
edited by David Kory
United States on 18/08/2012
19/08/2012 12:04:37

ian parker<br>United Kingdom
ian parker
United Kingdom

What is Cartegena like, have you been in other places around there
am thinking of sailing north coast of S America, from Trinidad
thanks
Ian
19/08/2012 23:03:40

Joseph Fantasia
United States

David:

Thank you for the information. I was hoping going North we could fetch Hispaniola, or at least Jamaica, if we pick a good window. The boat is a close winded boat, but in 20 kt seas ???

Since the winds in western Caribbean tend to be a bit more to the NE We also thought we might find easy going along the south coast of Hispaniola, particularly at night. Going North of the Islands Cuba and Hispaniola will add too much time to the schedule I am afraid. This trip may not be in the cards.
19/08/2012 23:12:35

Joseph Fantasia
United States

Ian:

I have no direct knowledge of Cartegena. We do however have some family and friends who have spent time there. It is an attractive and interesting place. The Colombian Navy is headquartered there. We are trying to organize a reunion.

Have no experience West of Trinidad. Time in Trinidad suggested to us that Venezuala was not worth the security risks.

Joe F.

Home » Weather and Routing » Cartegena, Columbia to Sint Maarten

Jeanneau
Jeanneau, a distinctive brand
www.jeanneau.com

Imray charts and books
Buy charts, books and software. Download corrections and supplements
www.imray.com

Site By Netguides